Thursday, May 21, 2009

Put Your Lead Foot Forward

I'm now well into my search for a new vehicle.

In most cases, the sales rep from the dealership accompanies me on my test drives. I don't mind his or her presence, as it allows me to ask questions while I'm driving.

On my first drive, conscious of the sales rep's presence in the passenger seat, I drove conservatively.

Somewhere along I-75, however, I threw conservatism out the window. "Look," I said to salesman Steve. "I like to punch it when I accelerate, and then I brake hard. So I'm tough on my tires, tough on my brakes. I take turns hard, too. Just wanted to warn you."

Steve laughed! "You're the first person who's actually said anything like that. And I'm glad you did. On a test drive, you should drive the car as you would naturally. That's the only way you'll find out if the car is right for you."

Ahhh, I could relax. Then I hit the gas.

When I drove another SUV with saleswoman Caryl, I made a similar speech, with this addendum: "My kids are used to it. They don't get carsick because my driving is what they're used to."

More laughter. Then she said, "Most people don't talk about how they actually drive the car. It's good that you know how you drive, and that you know what you want from a car."

Though I'm tempted to put my best foot forward, it's a fact that I drive with a lead foot. My dad tried to rid me of this habit when I was younger, and I really tried to change, but it didn't last long. Then my wonderfully steady, careful husband used logic to explain how my driving habits affect the wear and tear (and replacement of parts) on my car. I totally understood it. And tried to go easy. But again, I went back to my old habits.

Now I'm almost 40. I've been driving for 24 years -- more than half my life. I just don't think I'm gonna change.

And I don't care to lie to myself or anyone else.

So I offer only the truth: One of my vices is that I'm an aggressive driver. I'm far from the only one who is. But I'd like to think that one of my virtues is my ability to recognize and admit who I am. (But I also offer this reminder: aggressive is not synonymous with careless. I said I'm aggressive; I did not say I'm careless.)

I'm never going to take my vehicle out on a track. But I'm going to take my kids to school, I'm going to run errands around town, I'm going to take the family on trips. And when I do that, I'll need a vehicle that can keep up. It needs to go when I want to go. It needs to stop exactly when I need to stop. It needs to make tight turns, just because I like it that way. It needs to keep up with me, and be safe, comfortable, and reliable to boot.

So that's why, among the usual questions for sales reps, my questions also include estimates on maintenance schedules for tires and brakes for a driver like me. I don't need to know how long those parts last for the wonderfully smooth, careful drivers like my dad and my husband. I need to know how long they'll last for me.

I'm finding that my kind of questions don't come up much. The sales reps need to look up the answers.

Maybe more drivers like me just need to admit to our true habits. I won't hide any longer. I am who I am. The foot I put forward may not be the best, but it's the one I've got. And so I'll proudly put that lead foot forward.

2 comments:

Joe said...

You go girl!

Do something for yourself. When you pick out your next car, lean towards the 'black Celica' side of you, and away from the 'beige Camry'.

Kim said...

Absolutely! And I'm slowly inching toward that 911 Carrera... certainly not in size, but in performance & handling. I'll get there someday ;)