Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Stuck

Occasionally I overthink something that really does not warrant the expense of so much energy and time. Then I get stuck. And it drives me crazy.













My husband and I are going to Cape Cod for a weekend getaway without the kids in a few months. The location was easy to decide, as we're piggy-backing off a business trip he has in Boston. And it was fairly easy to rule out particular hotels that didn't seem right for us. Finally, I narrowed it down to two bed-and-breakfasts that we both liked. But then I couldn't decide between them. I was stuck.

{You may have noticed the pronoun "I" used frequently here. That's because, although we work out what trips we're going to take together for the most part, I'm the one who plans the details. It works for us.}

When this happens, typically I just set aside my research and come back to it another time. During the intervening days or weeks, my brain stealthily works out all angles of the problem and when the time comes, I can make a decision easily.

But every time I pulled out my B&B research, I still couldn't decide. Then I'd put it away again. This really shouldn't have been such a big decision.

Last night I got out my research again. And I realized that the reason I couldn't decide is that these two B&Bs are just a block apart from one another, offer the same features, have nearly the same appearance, have received excellent reviews from Travelocity reviewers, and are in the same price range. So location, features, reputation, and price are not differentiating factors. Therefore, it really doesn't matter which one we choose, since we'll have virtually the same experience at either one.

Why don't I just save myself the brainpower and do eenie-meenie-miney-mo?

And now - Unstuck!

No comments: