Saturday, December 27, 2008

Know Thyself

After two days of Christmas celebrations, my twins were at each others' throats today. They insisted on being with each other, even though they irritated one another to no end. They needed time apart, but wouldn't separate.

I was worn out from the celebrations myself, but I didn't want to hang around here listening to them fight all day. So, since my husband had plans with "the guys" tonight, the kids and I decided to see a movie. We quickly settled on Marley & Me. Well, most of us did. Surprisingly, one of the twins -- the one who usually loves to see movies -- said she didn't want to go. Also surprisingly, the other twin -- the one who typically hates seeing movies -- was adamant that she did want to go. My son is always up for any plans, and he stayed true to character.

I figured the naysayer would change her mind (she often does, as she typically avoids conflict in favor of accommodating others). But she stuck to her guns. No movie for her. A quick call to my parents remedied the situation: she'd hang out with them and the other two would go to the movies with me.

Throughout the afternoon, everyone held firm. Especially my little one who was brave enough to be different. (Remember, she's a twin. I don't know about other twins, but my twins do everything together. For one to break off from the other is highly unusual.)

So we dropped her off at Mom and Dad's on the way to the movie theater. She cheerily waved good-bye to us as she walked up the driveway to the house, holding my dad's hand.

My other two and I saw the movie. We loved it: we laughed a lot and cried some, too. (Turns out it was probably best that the one daughter missed the movie. She's more emotional than the others, and the movie probably would have been tough on her.)

Afterward, my daughter opened the door for us with a warm greeting. She filled us in on everything they'd been up to while we were out. She seemed relaxed, content.

Although initially I had hoped she'd change her mind and join us at the movies, I was so proud of my daughter at this moment. The one who likes to please others pleased herself this time. She was in touch with her own needs: a quiet evening at home.

No comments: