Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful for Helpers

I teased my daughter the other day with the mock-inflammatory statement, "Why do you even have Wednesday off school? It's not even a holiday! It's just a regular day."

Her defense: "Well, it's the day before Thanksgiving. And there are LOTS of things to do to get ready for it. We have the day off so we can help you!"

I wonder if she'll remember our conversation a couple of decades from now, when she's busy getting the house ready and food prepared for a household of holiday guests, and her precious little ones offer to "help"...





Incidentally, at ages 10, 10, and 11, the kids have been very helpful today. Of course, their help occurs at about 1/3 the rate at which I could just do it myself. And it's accompanied by lots of "Why's" and "Is this the right way's." But they're learning. And one day, when they're grown up, they'll host Thanksgiving at their house and all I'll have to do is show up with one dish in hand, while they've done all the rest. I'll see their lovely decorations and the spread of food and I'll remember who taught them patiently, one Thanksgiving Eve years earlier, about our family's Thanksgiving traditions.

And I'll be thankful for my helpers, as I am today.

No comments: