Monday, November 2, 2009

Just in Time

Lunches made in the morning before school. Laundry washed when a particular garment is needed for that day. Groceries purchased in late afternoon, about the time dinner needs to get started. Or not purchased at all, resulting in another dinner out. Forms signed and dated the day they are due. Work and papers completed just under the deadline.

A decade ago, the auto manufacturer I worked for was in the process of implementing "Just-in-Time" practices in their supply chain management system. In this practice, members of the supply chain network collaborated to move raw materials, inventory, and finished goods from point of origin to point of consumption just when they were needed, and not before, in order to cut costs and reduce storage requirements.

In recent weeks, I've been operating (unintentionally) under the same principle. And I'm exhausted.

By nature, I am more comfortable with a certain degree of planning, organization, and time buffering. My years as a parent have taught me to be flexible with those plans, in order to accommodate the unpredictable; nevertheless, I like to start with a plan anyway.

But by this past weekend, all planning had flown out the window. Papers were piled on my desk. My e-mail InBox numbered somewhere around 500ish. The house was a mess. We made it to appointments and activities just in the nick of time. We ate quickie, non-nutritious meals most nights. The rings under my eyes darkened due to sporadic and insufficient sleep habits.

I felt very stressed.

Relief came in the form of a Sunday with virtually no plans - a rare occurrence these days.

My husband spent the weekend in the kitchen on a soup-making binge, all homemade from scratch. My body, craving good, satisfying nourishment, was satiated. I sat at my desk, going through every single slip of paper - taking action on some, filing a few more, and depositing the rest in the circular file. My mind felt clearer with every square inch of desktop that became visible. I took a nap both Saturday and Sunday, and the dark half-moons under my eyes became lighter. The cleaning people arrived today to lighten our home of accumulated dust and grime. I made a meal plan for the entire week so that we can fill our bodies with nutritious food, and do so with one organized grocery shopping trip, rather than seven last-minute trips.

There are still numerous tasks, projects, and details to attend to this week. No sitting around eating bonbons for me. (Have I ever?) But with organization and a plan in hand, I feel hopeful about completing the things I need to do.

In time. But not Just in Time.

No comments: