Sunday, October 5, 2008

True Friends


In the middle of a party last night, my friend presented me with a walker.

Instead of being mortified -- I think that was his real intent -- I was so excited that I began using it immediately. And it has a cupholder! Just a rigged-up huggie. But it did the trick -- I didn't have to fumble with walking and holding my beer at the same time. Ah, simple luxuries.

Even though his initial goal was to get me riled up (a hobby of his), having gone through leg surgery and subsequent months of using crutches and a walker himself, he figured that eventually I'd come around to it. He just didn't expect it would be instantaneously.

(Of course, as glad as I am to have the walker, I won't use it in public. I just can't go there yet. I'm still a bit stubborn.)

But my thanks go out to this true friend, as well as many others: The ones who have made dinners for us; the ones who have carried mail and shopping bags into the house for me; the ones who have offered to do my grocery shopping; the ones who have called and sent e-mails offering support; the one who sent my "angel" because she knew that was exactly what I needed. Thanks also go to my friends who understand that I might be slow to accept help. Though I might be a bit hard-headed, they stick around anyway and offer to do what they can when I change my mind. Most especially, thanks go to my amazing family, as they step up to perform tasks that typically I would handle, help to prepare meals and do laundry, assist with grocery shopping, show much patience with my new slow mode, and help with a variety of mundane tasks around the house. My children and husband are so very wonderful to me. I love them and appreciate them tremendously.

But I really like the walker. Did I mention it has a cool cupholder?

No comments: