Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Grandparents

Years ago, when my husband and I were expecting our first child, we contemplated where we "really" wanted to live. Since I was planning a break from working in order to be a stay-at-home mom, and he consulted for a living, we could choose any city we wanted.

We moved to Cincinnati, just one suburb over from my parents and a mere two hours away from his. We wanted our child to be near his grandparents.

And here we've stayed.

As my three children grow, along with the number of experiences they've shared with their grandparents, I'm thankful we made this decision.

Because when they're with their grandparents, they get undivided attention. Their grandparents have the time to sit and do crafts with the kids--whereas I might get out the craft supplies and leave them to their own creations while I attend to other household tasks. Their grandparents take them to events that my husband and I might not otherwise think to attend. Their grandfather teaches them how to construct things out of wood and tools. Their grandmother teaches them now to cook and garden. Another grandmother teaches them how to the publishing world works. Their great-grandmother unwittingly teaches them that, with patience and kindness, one can listen to a story for the 12th time without displaying boredom. Their grandparents make special meals that are different from our usual menu. Their grandparents teach them about becoming who you are meant to be, without hurting others in the process. Their grandparents are there in a minute if someone is hurt or if someone wins a prize or if it's grandparents' day at school. Their grandparents play in the ocean and build sand castles all day.

Their grandparents stop what they're doing just to be with the children.

They have the wisdom that comes from living life longer than we have ourselves, from raising their own children, from making it through the sorrows of life and celebrating the little victories.

If we lived farther away from the children's grandparents, all those elements would still be present in their relationship, but fewer of the moments would exist. As it is, my children see their grandparents often. And their grandparents really know the kids.

Yes, my husband and I certainly could have chosen a more exciting city in which to live. Or a more exotic lifestyle. But we chose a nice, midwestern city with family nearby. Although we've made plenty of missteps in raising our children, I'm glad we got this one right.

No comments: