Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back in the Saddle

When you've been dissed by your own body, it's difficult to trust it again.

It was about this time last year when I was training for my first half-marathon: The Columbus Marathon. I was doing pretty well in my training program, especially considering I was a new runner, and was eager to finish within a time goal I'd set for myself. I did everything my trainer said to do, even when it was hard. And it felt great! However, just three weeks before the race, I discovered I'd fractured my hip.

That brought my plans for the race to a screeching halt.
My runner's high hit a low.
I felt utterly deflated.
{Let's see... how many more metaphors can I use here? Oh, that's enough? You get the point?}

Ten weeks later, just before Christmas, I was finally off the crutches. Yet something wasn't quite right. There were a couple more months of troubleshooting, resulting in surgery in March to remove what ailed me. And more weeks of recovery.

Finally, I was given the all-clear to run again in April. But after having had almost 8 months off, I was back at the starting line. Actually, with the fracture & the surgery, I was really starting behind it: I had to work my way up to the starting line!

But I was determined to get back on that horse and run a race. Since it was the Columbus Half-Marathon that had been thwarted last year, it was the Columbus Half-Marathon that I had to set as my goal this year.

This time around, however, I've promised myself NO TIME GOAL! Instead, my goals are modest:
(1) Finish the race
(2) Without injury
So, I'm about 6 weeks out from the race. I'm training steadily but sensibly. I pay attention to the signals my body gives me, and take an extra day - or seven - off if I feel more than just typical muscle ache. This week, I finally feel like I'm going to make it! I ran the longest I've run since the injury, and felt great! In addition, my pace has steadily improved over the last couple of months. Again, I'm not setting a specific goal, but I'm encouraged to see improvement vs. stagnation.

I know that just the very act of easing myself back into that saddle is an accomplishment. Finishing the race will be another. That's when I think I'll be able to trust my body again, and make plans for future races - specific distance goals, specific pace goals.








Will I see anyone else at the Columbus Marathon on October 18? My favorite cheering squad will be there with me. Hope to see you at the finish line!

No comments: