Monday, September 21, 2009

Puzzler

I've mentioned before that I like puzzles. Not jigsaw puzzles, but real-life puzzles.

I affectionately refer to one of the twins as "My Little Puzzle" because her abilities and her needs are so inconsistent and non-transparent at times, requiring Mom & Dad - and teachers, and doctors, and therapists - to really put on their thinking caps to find the most creative and effective ways for her to learn. This puzzle is one I've been working on for 10 years now, with another 10 ahead of us. Did I mention I'm also a patient person?

I enjoy the puzzle of creating a space that is functional yet visually pleasing in my home. Starting with a needs assessment, I then create a "must-have" list and a "nice-to-have" list from that, and then start the fun work of designing or locating just the right construction and objects to meet the goals. Seems I typically have one of these projects going at any given time, and the present is no exception.

But one of my favorite puzzles is that of travel. We like to travel, and we try to vary our trips. We'll plan trips together as a nuclear family, as a couple, with friends, with extended family, or girls-only/boys-only. We mix short jaunts with longer expeditions. Sometimes the objective is simple R&R. Sometimes it's adventure. Sometimes it's educational. Sometimes it's just 'cuz we're curious 'bout some other place.

{Not that we've been everywhere and seen everything - there are many of you out there who nearly have. Far from that, we merely aspire to see and do as much as we can with our budget and time constraints.}

The one thing our trips have in common is that we typically choose independent over organized travel. Not that we haven't done or wouldn't do tours or all-inclusives - we enjoy them, but don't choose them very often. For an excursion to Antarctica or an African safari, both of which I hope to do someday, I wouldn't hesitate to call in the pros.

But for the type of travel we do now, I really get a charge out of piecing together the elements of a trip that work for us! I like getting input from the kids about where they'd like to go next, then embarking on hours and hours of research on the history of a place, transportation options, accommodations, attractions that will keep the kids' interest at their current ages, and more. It's fun to talk to people who have already been or lived there; they always have the most wonderful insight into a place! I do a draft of a trip itinerary, go a little crazy with the details, scratch the whole thing out, obsess over it for a while, then watch the plan fall into place (usually).

{Of course, in typical "Kim" style, I'll work out just about every single detail to a "T" - with alternatives, of course, since it's nice to have choices depending on moods or weather - but leave out something relatively big (like that time when we got all the way to Italy before we booked a hotel room in Rome...). But it all works out in the end, and it's actually more adventuresome to leave a detail or two to serendipity.}

We're starting to work out plans for 2010 travel, and I'm in the sublime state of obsession with one of the more challenging plans. Whereas the task at first seemed too complex and overwhelming (I almost - that's almost - called a travel agent though I'm glad I resisted the impulse), I now have a handle on it and am blissfully able to sort out the "probably yes" pieces from the "not this time" ones. For me, working through a challenging puzzle is so much more mentally satisfying than simply calling in the experts!

OK, now, back to my puzzle...

No comments: